Press ReleaseJanuary 31, 2023
Spectrum News Kicks Off 2023 by Drawing More Daily Viewers to its Local News Networks Than ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC
2.2 Million Daily Households Watched Spectrum News in January
STAMFORD, Conn. – Spectrum audiences continue to turn to Spectrum News in 2023 for in-depth coverage of local and national news and events to gain a deeper understanding of the impact on their local communities. Across its 12-state local news footprint, Spectrum News averaged 2.2 million daily viewing households in January, recording more daily viewing Spectrum households than ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC, as well as CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.*
Spectrum News Nielsen-rated markets in Charlotte and Los Angeles saw month-over-month viewership increases in January, with Charlotte +4% and Los Angeles +3%.** During a time when Americans rank television as the most important source for local news,*** these month-over-month increases underscore Spectrum audiences’ reliance on Spectrum News as their trusted source for objective and reliable local news coverage.
Additional viewership highlights for January include:****
- In New York City, Spectrum News NY1’s live coverage and analysis of the 2023 New York State Inaugural Ceremonies on January 1 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET bested ABC, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC, and recorded an increase in viewership of 9%.
- Spectrum Bay News 9’s (Tampa) live coverage of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s swearing-in and inaugural address on January 3 from 11:30 a.m. to 11:50 a.m. ET outperformed ABC, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC, and drove a viewership increase of 4%.
- Also, in Tampa, Spectrum Bay News 9 was the most-watched broadcast and cable network on January 6 during its live coverage of the 117th Epiphany celebration from noon to 1 p.m. ET. During that time period, viewership was up 33%.
- In Buffalo, Spectrum News 1 saw an increase in viewership of 77% on January 2 between 10 p.m. and midnight ET as viewers turned to the network for local updates on Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin’s condition.
- Spectrum News 1’s live coverage of the press conference held by Hamlin’s doctors on January 5 from 1:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. ET recorded an increase in viewership of 25%. More viewers in Buffalo watched Spectrum News 1’s coverage of the press conference than watched ABC, FOX, NBC, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC during that time period. And on January 9, Spectrum News 1 was the most-watched network during its live coverage of the Bills press conference on Hamlin’s recovery from 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET.
- In Los Angeles, Spectrum News 1 was the only news network to air California Governor Gavin Newsom’s swearing-in and inaugural address on January 6, and was the most-watched broadcast and cable network during its live coverage from 12:15 p.m. to 12:40 p.m. PT.
- Also, in Los Angeles, Spectrum News 1’s live, wall-to-wall breaking news coverage on January 22 following the tragic Monterey Park mass shooting was watched by more viewers from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. PT than watched ABC, FOX, NBC, as well as CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
*Spectrum set-top box data is sourced from all markets where Spectrum News has distribution, and are based on a minimum threshold of five consecutive minutes of viewing on one station to count as a viewing HH.
**Nielsen metrics are based on Live+SD, Total Day household impressions in the following DMAs: Austin, Buffalo, Charlotte, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Greensboro, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio and Tampa.
***Spectrum News/Morning Consult national poll of 5,000 US adults on sentiments about and trust of local news, July 11, 2022.
****Viewership averages are among Spectrum customers, and as compared to the previous 30-day average.
About Spectrum Networks
Spectrum Networks is a series of 24/7 news and sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR), a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator serving more than 32 million customers in 41 states. Spectrum Networks carry distinct, comprehensive, and exclusive local programming on over 30 networks across Charter’s footprint. More information on Spectrum Networks is available at spectrumlocalnews.com.